Sunday, October 03, 2004

What Me Worry?

Oh great, I’ve managed to catch flu again. A runny nose, an aching head and a cannister of Kleenex™ are just what I'd be needing at this time of the year. Right smack when I’ve got hosts of exams literally knocking on my doorstep. At my age, I tell you! Exams, knocking on my doorstep. Argh

Not that I’m alone. I may be the only one stupid enough to go down with flu, but others stuck in the hell hole called Eng’g are on a bad war footing as well. Cases of frustrated homicide and nervous breakdowns have been reported all over the college—well murderous tendencies and dementia aren’t known to be contagious, but people are panicking anyway. We’ve got a plague right here, the epicenter of which is the Department of Engineering Sciences. Nothing compares to it, not even Black Death (or Math building, for that matter). While the oriental rat flea killed millions of people, at least they all stayed dead. ES, on the other hand, turns you into the living dead, which is much worse. That explains the dearth of zombie-like carriers skulking around Melchor’s nooks and crannies three hours before any ES exam. And while plagues no longer pack the punch they used to, I think I’ll worry about them just the same.

Exams and ES. ES exams. It’s not as if I didn’t have enough stuff to worry about—graduating, poverty, getting through a job interview, poverty, earning a living, poverty. And don’t forget love life, now there’s a subject everyone seems to be occupied about.

Do you think I worry too much?

Well, lemme see now…

I wake up one morning and discover I’m already twenty-three (Wait, doggarned it! Didn’t I just turn twenty yesterday!?).

I wake up one morning and there’s no breakfast, only lunch.

I wake up one morning, only it’s already evening.

I wake up one morning only to turn over and wait for the next one.

In any case, I think worrying has it plus points. You see, whenever you worry about something, chances are it probably won’t happen. Like, worrying about my last horror exam prevents it from returning a failing grade. If I worry about being holdupped in a jeepney full of suspicious-looking construction workers, it won’t happen. If I worry about getting drenched because I forgot to bring my payong along, it won’t happen. But heck, even if it does, I get consuelo de bobo: the right to say: “’Sabi ko na nga ba eh!”

So start worrying about things you don’t want to happen. If enough people worry about it, maybe IT WON'T HAPPEN.

Now while you’re at it, could you help me worry about my finals this week?

4

Blogger jem said...

sorry. i also have my own exams to 'worry about'. heheh

10:41 AM  
Blogger skyles said...

Thanks anyway, jem Ü

5:30 PM  
Blogger skyles said...

I'm afraid we need to contend with one more (evil) thing, wehehe: hope. As the Law of Opposites go, pining for something makes it less achievable... kinda like the cotton candy your parents won't buy you on carnival day. They lecture you on gingivitis when what you've got are baby teeth, then they buy you a crappy kid's meal from some dinghy-looking booths. The line gets blurred though, where on earth does worrying pick up from simply hoping? Now THAT's something to worry about... but let's just hope for the best. Ü

9:12 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

How about the futility of it all? I am into my own finals week, and I feel kind of futile since I'm pretty sure I'll be failing one of my subjects. *sigh*

Good luck in yours, Franz!

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home