Saturday, October 08, 2005

A Treatise on why the Figure Four™ beats a PerfectPlex™ anytime

Just capped a six-day stay in Cebu, where I spent the whole week stressed more than a lastiko on a sixth-grader’s fingers.

Touched down on Cebu Sunday morning, then bunked in with my counterpart in Cebu and a colleague from Mindanao. Slept early, the only chance I’d get to, as I soon found out.

Monday. Opening ceremonies for our PSS training program. A total head-drain. Tons of theories and hours of lecture. Team decided to socialize with trainer after class. Probably drank eight bottles of SMBlight. I lost count. Really bad sign.

Tuesday.
Started with a very competitive activity. It was UP vs Ateneo, with two TLs on my team. Very typical game, if you watch UAAP. Led most of the match, only to lose the margin in the end game. Score tied at the buzzer. No overtime though. Surprising twist: wager points for a tie-breaker question. Both teams decide to go all-or-nothing. Pressure, pressure! Fortunately, this was a head game, so UP wins. Jesuits yet to show proof they can teach.
Final Score: 32-0. Wooo!!!
Post game: Everybody goes out for isaw and BBQs to celebrate (how fitting). Team ends up over-the-budget, but it’s okay. Team then watched a very entertaining live act until 1am. Too bad their stand-up comedy was in Cebuano. Had to fake laughing too. Only had two SMBice, but bunked down in the wee hours to review for the Finals.

Wednesday. Last day of training. Mastery test at end of day: no theories and very situational. Philippine record for this test was -5, which meant incurring only five mistakes for the entire exam (Segue: the PSS was administered to the whole region, so RP scores are benchmarked versus Singapore and Australia).
Pressure, pressure (Part Two)!! Took the longest time to finish, but disappointingly had two mistakes. Must be a new record, but couldn’t care less. I felt so embarrassed, actually. Everyone thought I could notch it. Oh well…
Post-It. The blue eagle got a perfect score, but everyone knows she cheated.
Post game: Team in a partying mood, and did we par-tei! Free-flowing colt45s and infinite turns at the videoke machine made it a night to remember. Our last party in Cebu for the year. Wooo!!!

The rest of the week was uneventful but just as straining. Boss flew in and congratulated me for getting a high mark. Nothing was mentioned about “The Perfect Score,” and the blue eagle had the grace to keep it to herself. One of the guys noticed my pallor and was concerned about my health (Why, thank you. I’ll be just fine.). Lost a lot of appetite though. Must be those two mistakes. A big chunk also from the late nights and the booze. Anybody got a charger? Hit me.

I think I’ll watch a movie on Sunday. Wonder if Narnia’s on already.