Friday, October 28, 2005

A Date with C.S. Lewis

Funny how pundits once warned parents not to expose their kids to too much "T.V." as a way of preventing the erosion of morality and good reading habits.

If I may stretch it far enough, that covers movies as well. An industry that has been, admittedly, responsible for the erosion of morality in most instances. But reading habits?

Last time I was in a theatre, I saw the trailer for that upcoming fantasy flick Narnia based on the (and I quote) "beloved fantasy novel by C.S.Lewis". Hmm... The footage was exciting enough, definitely a grade A movie, and I found myself wishing it was now showing.

But back to the main thread, that is, moviesbooks. Of course, the fact that the trend has been (for the past few scores of months or so) to project black&white text into the big screen proves that while film has made reading a very boring past time, it remains a prevalent past time nevertheless and in some cases, instilled a hunger for written works in both young and old alike.

After seeing the Narnia trailer, I hurriedly turned to my pirated stash of e-books and to my joy and surprise it's actually there, to be particular: C.S.Lewis' The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Wicked! And surprisingly, the work above seems to have been a miniLOTR in itself, part of a collection of books entitled The Chronicles of Narnia (although I have yet to research whether LOTR predated The Chronicles or vice-versa). A word of caution though for fantasy lit enthusiasts, Narnia is more of a children's book than anything, and everyone looking for hidden meanings, conspiracy theories and much heavier stuff are better off snooping someplace else.

In closing, Narnia is a sufficiently imaginative world for most people to get lost in. It may not have the depth and scholastica of J.R.R.Tolkien or say, the humor of J.K.Rowling, but it does satisfy, on a funny, childish way, err, the childish quality of fantasy one does crave for once in a blue moon.

So if I were you, I'd read the book first before having that movie engagement with the author.

3

Blogger Lynx said...

Actually, I already did (I also like the "Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe") and I can't wait to watch the movie...Have any idea who directed the film?

12:19 PM  
Blogger skyles said...

I don't know... but I sure hope it's John Woo! Hahaha

3:42 PM  
Blogger Lynx said...

oh the guy who did paycheck and mission impossible...uhmmm...that's odd =P

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home